We here at the Labragirl Media Project believe it is important to learn how to analyze film and recognize the power of film images because movings images play a dominant role in following processes:
- Shaping the way we understand the world
- Defining our understanding of our collective history
- Painting our image of foreign ideas, cultures, and people
The Labragirl Media Project believes that it is first important to be able to think critically about film images. Then, once a student is able to discuss the visual and cultural impact of film images, the opportunity—even the responsibility— to use film for the betterment of society exists.
To use film to create positive change in society, the Labragirl Film Project advocates and promotes the following practices:
- Thinking critically about moving images
- Discussing the cultural impact of film images
- Creating films that explore social and cultural issues
Labragirl believes that when students are equipped with both film production and also film analysis skills, students will be able to think critically about the way visual images shape the way they see and understand the world around them.
In addtion to providing students with knowledge about film production, film reading, and film analysis, Labragirl believes that it is essential for students to recognize the historical aspect of this process. Combining film analysis with historical analysis in an effort to understand how media images have come to shape the way we understand our individual and collective pasts is a skill and conversation that the Labragirl Media Project promotes in its educational programming.
The Labragirl Media Project believes that lasting educational experiences are ones that achieve the following:
- Encourage students to develop their critical thinking skills & individual academic voice
- Enable students to understand & engage with the world around them
- Facilate the process of continuing classroom conversations in the non-academic or 'real world'
The goals of Moving Images-Moving Forward programs are as follows:
- Equipping students with critical thinking and media literacy skills
- Building a bridge from the classroom to the public sector/real world
- Enabling students to be capable and thoughful citizens
Have questions? Interested in bringing a Labragirl program to your school or community? Fill out Labragirl's Interest & Inquiry Form.